Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Sunday 19 February 2017

Vintage City of Kyoto

In a very cold morning (2⁰C) we go out at 6am to move to our next destination Kyoto!

Here's a thing about cold weather (I know this is so dumb, but I am dumb because I live in tropical weather and lack of research on how dry your skin would be in cold weather). On second day, I realize that my lips is crack due to dry cold weather and lick your lip in order to keep it moist is a BAD IDEA! I can't smile because it's so dry and there is a moment when my colleague send a picture of my boss, with a make up of Chinese Zombie, doing presentation for town hall - I burst out a big laugh, the next thing I know my lips are bleeding (Hope I look fantastic too with the blood on my cracking lips) 👹👹👹 

So, Kyoto! It's been ages since I read Miss Modern, Yokohama (who doesn't love Waki Yamato!) and Memoir of Geisha and I love the idea of the city in those stories and somehow I get the picture of such places while visiting this vintage city. I don't know why I like Kyoto the most from the cities I visited, this city is charming and I fall in love. 

Tips while in Kyoto:
  1. Buy Kyoto bus pass to save money. It cost 500 Yen for 1 day, as reference one bus ride is 220 Yen. you can buy the bus pass at the convenience store or on the bus. When, we buy Kyoto bus pass, we also get Kyoto bus map.
  2. Most shops close at 8pm in Kyoto.
  3. Try to get to famous attraction places as early as possible or later before it closes. to avoid crowds.

Below is the places we visited while in Kyoto (Kyoto in 2 days):
  • Fushimi Inari Taisha - Famous red Tori gate and there are thousands of them. This place is free no entry ticket, but please be mindful that this is a shrine and people really comes here to pray, so be respectful. If, you have  budget you can rent Kimono and walk around the shrine like Uno or Chiyo 👧 Nearest Station JR Inari Station.
Fushimi Inari Taisha


  • Yasaka Dori - Yasaka-no-to Pagoda - Kiyumizudera Temple a small alley with vintage building all around. Unfortunately, we arrive so late everything is closed (shop, pagoda and temple) Fortunately since all shop, pagoda and temple are closed, most of tourist are gone! Accessible by Bus.

Pretty quiet street!

  • Kinkakuji Temple - Golden temple is listed as one of the famous and must visit attraction in Kyoto. After waiting in line to purchase the entry ticket, we can see a golden temple with the pond and Japanese garden, the scenery is so peaceful.... If there is not too many people in there, talking, taking photo, shouting, calling other friend who is missing. I feel like I wanna passed out due to the crowd 🙈Accessible by Bus.
above: The Famous Golden Temple; below: the crowds!

  • Ginkakuji Temple - the Zen temple is listed as one of the famous and must visit attraction in Kyoto. The situation is similar with the golden temple, but outside the temple there is a walkway called Path of Philosophy which is a pretty long walk with Sakura tree along the way (if it's the blooming season) 💟Accessible by Bus.
Ginkakuji Temple

  • Arashiyama Bamboo Forest - It was a long ride to go to this area by bus, I got motion sickness on the bus, it was cloudy and bamboo forest is not a magical place to visit when it's about to rain and we spent moderate time to wait for the bus home... It you have limited time you can skip this area, if you have budget you can try to ride Hozugawa river boat ride (we really want to try but we have limited budget 😒 hihi). Better make sure you have sunlight during your visit 💁💛Sun is good! Accessible by Bus.
Me with my bleeding cracking lips in a cloudy day at Arashiyama Bamboo Forest


  • Kurama-Dera - as a fan (not a big one but still we love the story) of Shanao Yoshitsune who meets Tengu in Kurama Temple, we decided to visit Kurama Temple. Unfortunately, the tram up to the temple is under maintenance, so we need to walk up (30-60 minutes hiking). It was the hardest decision we made during the trip, we decided not to go up, considering it's cloudy day, it's a forest and mountain, and it's about to rain. We don't have the experience and knowledge (I was not doing a comprehensive research about going up hiking knowing there is a tram). So, we just walk around the town and buy Tengu mask! Accessible by train.

Fail attempt to visit Kurama - Dera

  • Nijo Castle - a historic place, UNESCO World Heritage Site. This is where the Shogun lives. I overheard the guide that in one of the room of this building the Meiji Restoration begins (this is why you need to really hire a guide 😂). This Accessible by Bus.
Nijo Castle Gate

Aside from those places we also visit Nishiki Market where we have plenty of interesting food to eat, one of them is sushi wrap in a leaf and an okonomiyaki Kyoto style (If pizza is okonomiyaki, then this Kyoto style okonomiyaki is calzone). I am trying to find the picture 😸 for reference...

Cheers,


No comments:

Post a Comment